Happy (belated) Father's Day

This summer has been crazy so far, and it is only June! It has been filled with family and friends so I cannot complain. If I would choose to be busy, it would be with them!
As Father's Day has come and gone, I have two thoughts over the past couple of weeks.

Thought #1
I heard a quote this week, "You never know when you are making a memory." -Rickie Lee Jones. (Thanks Kris for posting that on Facebook!). Throughout Father's Day weekend, and then hearing this quote; it makes me realize how fortunate I am to have my family close by. To just relax and laugh with my family. I am so thankful I have amazing relationships with each and everyone of them! I think we take our time for granted so much, so often. Who knows when the Lord may call one of us home, or move away (miss you Val and John). I hope we all take a little more time to appreciate this incredible gift!

Thought #2
I was walking with my buddy...Bre this week. This is Z's sister who is here for the summer as she is completing a clinical rotation for Physical Therapy (Go Dr. Bre!). It has been a joy having her here. I love our walks & talks that go along with it!
As we were walking yesterday we were talking about family, and just how blessed we are that we all get along so well. I always love getting the updates about my parents because I am no longer in the house and do not get to see them day to day. I especially love hearing about conversations that she has with my father.
I love both of my parents dearly, but there is something about a love I have for my dad. He is a provider, comforter, and friend. He is my everyday hero. When I got married to Z it was the best day of my life, but now I understand the "giving away" piece during the ceremony. My dad and I used to have long talks on the deck about life, jokes, and people. We would talk money, school, and cars. He would guide me, and help me make decisions, but now I have Z to do that with me. My dad gave that piece away... in a way... I did too. It has been a hard transition. There have been many times I pick up the phone to ask a question, and then hang it up. I now know... Z is my go-to-guy. The one I need to ask. I have sat many Saturday mornings wanting to run over to my parents' house to sit on the deck and watch the birds, or help with a project. I am not saying I will never call my dad for advice, or never work on projects with my dad, but it is hard not being able to just go over and be there with him and my mom.
I love my father so much and what he has done for me personally and my family. So, even though Father's Day has come and gone.. I celebrate you Dad. Your strength, wisdom, humor, and love you share. Thank you for being there for me always. I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment