I have a special relationship with my mom. We have been through some ups and downs just like any relationship, but I can honestly say she is one of my best friends. My mom and I live in the same town and I am so fortunate I have gotten some extra time with her. Sometimes I feel guilty about it because my twin sister is in Philly and cannot do that.
Anyways... we grew up watching my mom play softball and being very active. Well, the past several years have not been like that due to severe hip pain. This woman I thought was superwoman and could anything now could not. It was hard to see her struggle get in and out of the car, and not even wanting to walk down to the end of the driveway to get the mail because she wasn't sure if she would make it back. I noticed changes in my mom's personality just not being able to do the things she wanted to do. I don't like seeing my parents get older. I didn't like to see this personality change in my mind... I wanted her to get better!
When my mom started appointments and doctor visits for this problem, surgery was always an option, but my mom being the fighter she is, she waited until she knew it was time, that she was in absolute pain.
Well,Mom's fiver year battle with pain came to an end on the day of surgery that came this past Wednesday. Besides the first night in the hospital and morning she did remarkably well. She came home yesterday! There is a long recovery ahead. People would talk about hip replacement like it is nothing, but there is a lot involved! She is a fighter and Mom will do just fine. She will be up and walking fast before you know it. The only battle I am worried about this is the mental one for her. Even in the daily pain that she was in before, she did not like relying on people, well... now she HAS to rely on others for basic activities. I am so glad that good friends, my dad, and I are here to help her so she does not have to be in a nursing home. That would really put her in a downer.
My Superwoman is now my Bionic woman with her new hip! I look forward to see how in time this will bring her back to life and allow her to walk and do the things she loves. I am so proud of my mom for facing this fear of surgery and getting it done! God is so good in keeping her safe and healthy during this. I know he has a will and sometimes it isn't what we want, but thank you father for a perfect surgery and recovery so far! As the next few days and weeks will bring new challenges, I ask that you continue to pray with me for recovery and strength of mind and body for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment